Here are a few helpful reminders as you plan for your conversation:
- These conversations are about sharing your own personal stories. We encourage you to think about the experiences that have shaped your view of the world and your place in it prior to recording your conversation.
- It is okay to talk about political issues, but these conversations are not meant to be debates.
- You do not have to change your mind, and neither does your conversation partner. There are no winners or losers in these conversations.
- You don’t have to answer every question. You can always say, “I’d rather pass on that,” and move onto the next question on your list.
- StoryCorps conversations are always intended to be respectful, where two people come together to listen and share with an open mind. If you feel uncomfortable and want to stop the interview, you have the right to do so at any time.
- There is no wrong or right way to have a One Small Step conversation. This is meant to be an informal, comfortable space. Just be yourself.